"We were all artists as children. We need to study the chaos around us in order to turn it into something beautiful. Something sustainable. Something that remains".

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Art Creations Friday Challenge

This week the theme for the
Art Creations Challenge
 is this lithograph of
the artist, Alphonse Mucha!


F. Champenois Imprimeur-Éditeur

Because Art Nouveau is one of my
favorite types of art to use
 when creating mixed media,
 I wanted to provide some history
about this exceptionally talented artist!

Mucha produced a flurry of paintings, posters,
advertisements, and book illustrations,
as well as designs for jewellery, carpets, wallpaper,
and theatre sets in what was initially called the Mucha Style
 but became known as Art Nouveau !

Mucha's works frequently featured
beautiful, strong young women in
flowing vaguely Neoclassical looking robes,
often surrounded by lush flowers which
sometimes formed haloes behind the women's heads.
.
The Art Nouveau style however,
 was one that Mucha attempted to
distance himself from throughout his life;
he always insisted that rather than adhering
to any fashionable stylistic form,
his paintings came purely from within.

He became very frustrated when his fame grew
 through the popularity of his commercial art
when he most wanted to concentrate on more
 lofty projects that would ennoble art and his birthplace.

 Art exists
only to communicate
 a spiritual message,
 and nothing more!
---Alphonse Mucha


Now...to show you what I created for this challenge!!
This is my interpretation of this theme
 and of Mucha's lithograph!!



Thanks for coming by and looking at my entry! 
 Have a wonderful day!!

***quotes for Alphonse Mucha came from Wikipedia

4 comments:

  1. Oh' my Kym, you have such a wonderful eye and you're such a gifted artist! Is this digital art or paper art. It really is magnificent. I've always loved the art deco style. I love old movies too. I can only imagine how beautiful the early talkie movies were with the art deco colors and style.

    Love ya Sweetie!...Tracy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the history you shared about this wonderful artist. And I LOVE your interpretation of his work! The autumn colors are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is brilliant, Kym! Thank you too for the info on Mucha, of whom I had never heard until ACF!!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends, thanks so much for visiting my art blog!

Dear friends, thanks so much for visiting my art blog!