Friday, February 12, 2010

So Artful Challenge

The Theme this week for
So Artful Challenge
 was Mardi Gras! 

I found some really old vintage pictures
of men and women dressed up in
"Carnival Fair" with some very
unusual masks on their faces. 
I didn't know that in the early 1900"s,
 instead of wearing the ornate masks
that they wear today,
they wore hoods that covered
their whole head and face 
during Mardi Gras week!  

I looked up the history of Mardi Gras and was
very surprised to find out that it has been
taking place since the late 1700's!

When I first started working with this theme,
 I found myself making a rather large collage,
 (at least 8 x 8 inches)!
 As I worked , I thought  it would make a
great mini-book cover
 if I wanted to return to it someday
and add a few pages to make a
Nostalgic History of  a
"Vintage"  Mardi  Gras!   


So this is the front of the mini-book:



This is the back cover:




This is the frontcover completely unfolded::



This is what the inside section looks like when it is unfolded:



I wantd to make some necklaces out of the tiny beads
I use when I am knitting a beaded lace shawl pattern
but... I can always add them later!

I really wanted a more festive look with the
 traditional bright colors but...
I just can't do anything modern anymore !
If it looks distressed, tired, old,
and needs to be thrown away
then it goes into  my "collection"! 
I am all-vintage now!

Thank you for looking at my entry
and have a wondrful Valentine's weekend!
Post a Comment

Dear friends, thanks so much for visiting my art blog!

Dear friends, thanks so much for visiting my art blog!