"We were all artists as children. We need to study the chaos around us in order to turn it into something beautiful. Something sustainable. Something that remains".

Friday, February 12, 2010

So Artful Challenge

The Theme this week for
So Artful Challenge
 was Mardi Gras! 

I found some really old vintage pictures
of men and women dressed up in
"Carnival Fair" with some very
unusual masks on their faces. 
I didn't know that in the early 1900"s,
 instead of wearing the ornate masks
that they wear today,
they wore hoods that covered
their whole head and face 
during Mardi Gras week!  

I looked up the history of Mardi Gras and was
very surprised to find out that it has been
taking place since the late 1700's!

When I first started working with this theme,
 I found myself making a rather large collage,
 (at least 8 x 8 inches)!
 As I worked , I thought  it would make a
great mini-book cover
 if I wanted to return to it someday
and add a few pages to make a
Nostalgic History of  a
"Vintage"  Mardi  Gras!   


So this is the front of the mini-book:



This is the back cover:




This is the frontcover completely unfolded::



This is what the inside section looks like when it is unfolded:



I wantd to make some necklaces out of the tiny beads
I use when I am knitting a beaded lace shawl pattern
but... I can always add them later!

I really wanted a more festive look with the
 traditional bright colors but...
I just can't do anything modern anymore !
If it looks distressed, tired, old,
and needs to be thrown away
then it goes into  my "collection"! 
I am all-vintage now!

Thank you for looking at my entry
and have a wondrful Valentine's weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Kym, This is fabulous. Your post is so interesting and the book is terrific. I can't make up my mind on which page to feature in the sidebar.
    I think I'll just make a special entry and encourage everyone to see your beautiful work.

    Thanks for being Soartful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad I came over here to look! Oh, you must have alot of patience, such a great job and sooo interesting to look at! Love the history you added. Thanks for entering this so we could all see it!

    ReplyDelete

Dear friends, thanks so much for visiting my art blog!

Dear friends, thanks so much for visiting my art blog!